The Parable of the Lost Puzzle Piece

Jesus lived in an agrarian society. Thus His parables often played off themes familiar to people in that kind of culture. Had our Master lived today, in a group that loved to do puzzles, He may have used the following parable at Luke 15:4-7.

"What puzzlers, having 999 pieces safely on the table, do not leave them to find the one? When they find it, they bear it joyfully to the table, rejoicing. And when the puzzle is done, the puzzlers tell their families the glad tidings, and then post on Facebook a Huzzah! Likewise, there is joy in Heaven over one sinner who repents, more than over 999 just persons, who need no repentance."

This idea came to me while I was flat on my belly, crawling from one piece of furniture to another, looking for piece 1000. I've done this twice in recent days. One time I found it; one time I failed to locate it. There is a huge difference between finding and losing the one piece. Our Master cares about the one. May we follow His lead.

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Skipped School

New Prayer Focus

Dad’s Smile