Speaking in Tongues

"Pentecostals are poor." That was the stereotype when I started preaching 51 years ago. Tongues-speakers were on the fringe on Christianity. I remember when some thought it was merely a passing fad. Then things began to change.

The Pentecostals began rising on the socioeconomic scale, and many of them began staying in mainline denomination rather than leaving due to their beliefs and practices. In my early years, many local church battles were fought over this issue. My family took a huge hit on it. My dad  was one of 12 siblings who grew to adulthood. Eight remained Baptists; four became Pentecostals. The enmity was sometimes palatable.

I have a cousin who is an Assembly of God preacher. He and I have grieved that our dads were never able to relax with each other. The "issue" was always there between them. Dad felt it was of the devil; Uncle Bill, whom many in our family say was the greatest pulpiteer our family ever produced, obviously was hurt by this.

I remember as a teenage preacher having to decide if I would speak in tongues or not. I felt pressure from both sides. I tried to be as open as possible to whatever the Lord might want for me. I never did speak in tongues, but I did develop a deep, abiding respect for those who did. (I hadn't thought about this personal teenage struggle in years, but as I edited this paragraph tears came to my eyes; some events become embedded deep within us, and stay there even though memory does not visit them often.)

Fast forward to the present. The charismatics (the term that finally become their moniker) are the big boys on the block. They are the primary expression of the local church in many parts of the world. I feel the Charismatic Movement is the most potent force to hit Christianity since Luther took his hammer and nails to attach 95 theses to the Wittenburg door. I am grateful for the powerful influence charismatics are having, and will continue to have, for the kingdom all around the planet.

I welcome and invite your comments about this on my Facebook post about it.

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Skipped School

New Prayer Focus

Dad’s Smile