51 Years: My Main Shortcomings

I made many mistakes through the years, as we all have. There were a handful of church-wide decisions I had to make that I'm not sure I did the best thing. I learned, though, that Satchel Paige, the famous pitcher, had it right when he said, "Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you." We need to think about our past, and learn from it, but must not get mired down in it. At some point, we have to walk away from it.

One consolation I do have is; I never made a decision in all my 51 years of ministry that less than a majority of the congregants supported. I am truly a Baptist to the core. Majority rules; not a select few. Unanimity is not necessary.

Another regret: I never learned to rest in the Lord. I always felt I was Jacob wrestling with God. I never relaxed in His presence and glory. I am convinced many of my health issues stem from the stress this failure caused me.

I did not exercise enough or eat right. When I had my two heart attacks, 14 years ago, I weighed 243 pounds. I lost fifty, and kept forty off. Food is still an obsession to me. I am addicted to it. No kidding. Every day is a battle.

I wish I would have included Ruth more in the ministry with me. The last few years, I did try to mention her at least once in every sermon. I wanted everyone to know she was with me in the ministry; I also desired for everyone to constantly know we had a great marriage. I am not a feminist, but I do think Southern Baptists will someday have to re-visit the women-in-ministry debate. I fear we may have swung too far, and need to soften our position a bit. We'll see.

I wish I would have spent more time with my children when they were preschoolers. I'm grateful God gave me another chance later, when they were pre-teens. I spent many years trying to make up for lost time.

I covet your input. Write your thoughts on my Facebook post about this blog.

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Skipped School

New Prayer Focus

Dad’s Smile